Thursday 26 May 2011

On the road again, in the air

Greetings from sunny Santiago. That’s right, Chile. Yesterday I flew over the entire Pacific Ocean, and though I travel a lot, for my work, there’s a part of me that still feels that to travel that far, that fast, is kinda unnatural. I think that’s what jet lag is all about. I’m all for the wonders of jet travel but it is weird when you think about it: we file into an enclosed steel tube, watch a couple of movies, eat meals served on those little trays (so much packaging!), take a nap and look, here we are on the other side of the world, as if by magic.

I’m just about to fly on to Ecuador later today, where I’ll be spending the next couple of weeks, and will try to post when I can, otherwise when I get back. Already I’m feeling the difficulties of maintaining a “no impact” ethic while travelling – it’s as if you are suspended in an alternate universe where climate change doesn’t exist (or at least is of secondary importance to basic survival), drinking bottled water on the plane (because the tap water isn't drinkable), travelling even short distances in taxis (because you don’t know your way around)…

Although there are glimpses of an eco-sensibility here and there. For instance, the Best Western hotel I stayed in last night calls itself a “green hotel” – designed to maximize natural light and shade, glass “thermopanels” on the exterior, energy economisers (whatever they are) in each room…And I’m travelling in a group of six, so we’re taking taxis/minivans together where possible (car-pooling!).

Over and out, for now. Hasta luego (see you later)…

No comments:

Post a Comment